28 – 30 SEPTEMBER 2019
ARTIST REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN. REGISTER HERE.
Plein Air Down Under launches Mandurah’s inaugural annual plein air festival and includes workshops, day and night paint outs, painting demonstrations, prizes and an exhibition.
Local, national and international artists are invited to express their interpretation of Mandurah’s natural and built environment, while enjoying everything the region has to offer.
FEATURE GUEST ARTIST WARWICK FULLER will be conducting a two day oil painting workshop, en plein air of course!
The festival dates are 28 – 30 September, with additional pre-festival workshops and activities – all designed to celebrate the art of painting outdoors. The festival will be held around Mandurah’s town centre, cultural precinct and Dolphin Quay Marina.
Prize Categories and Awards:
- $2,500 Best in Show, presented by the City of Mandurah
- $500 People’s Choice Award, presented by Bendigo Bank Halls Head
- $500 Peel Region Award, presented by Bendigo Bank Halls Head
- $200 Youth Award, presented by Bendigo Bank Halls Head
- $500 Quick Draw Award
- Youth, Highly Commended: One-on-one mentoring session with plein air artist Leon Holmes. $500 value
Below is a 2019 sample program, to be confirmed. Some elements will change.
PRE FESTIVAL EVENTS
- Half day Workshop for Youth aged 18 and under, conducted by Leon Holmes
- Two Day Workshop – The Art of Plein Air. Presented by the festival’s feature artist, Warwick Fuller on 26 and 27 September. SOLD OUT.
Day One Saturday 28 September
- Welcome breakfast/brunch and registration for artists and guests.
- Organised Paint Out
- Evening event and optional Nocturnal Paint Out
Day Two Sunday 29 September
- Painting demonstration, followed by an organised Paint Out
- Free time to paint around Mandurah
- Evening: Critique and Artist Talk
Day Three Monday 30 September (long weekend)
- Quick Draw two hour painting competition
- Mid-afternoon: Judging, sales, prizes and exhibition event.
In addition to work created at the above paint outs, participants may also work on an additional paintings, inspired by Mandurah’s landscape. Each artist can submit one painting for judging and awards, and by invitation, a second painting may be submitted. These will be judged at the Monday afternoon event, 30 September.
Exact paint out location will be confirmed closer to the event.
POST FESTIVAL EVENTS
Full Day Portraiture Workshop, conducted by feature artist. Dependant on demand.
Tuesday 1 October, 8.30 am
The public and any remaining festival attendees are invited to paint with the Mandurah Plein Air Artists at their weekly Tuesday paint out.