PLEIN AIR DOWN UNDER INVITES ARTISTS OF ALL SKILL LEVELS, FROM BUDDING ARTISTS TO PROFESSIONALS, TO JOIN THE FUN OF MANDURAH’S LARGEST OUTDOOR PAINTING FESTIVAL.
THE FESTIVAL IS OPEN TO ARTISTS WORKING IN A VARIETY OF MEDIUMS; FROM SKETCHING AND DRAWING IN CHARCOAL, PENCIL AND PASTELS TO PAINTING IN WATERCLOUR, ACRYLICS AND OILS – AND EVERYTHING IN BEWEEN.
The festival dates are the long weekend of 26, 27 and 28 September 2020, with additional pre – festival workshops and activities – all designed to celebrate the art of painting outdoors.
The festival will be held around Mandurah’s town centre, cultural precinct and the historic town of Pinjarra.
Artwork will be exhibited and available for sale at the end of each day. Over $8,000 in cash and prizes are on offer for artists accepting the challenge of capturing the character and beauty of Mandurah and the Peel region’s natural and built environment.
September pre-festival activities include:
- World Wide Paint Out: 12 and 13 September, Mandurah foreshore near TODS Cafe
- Two day Master Workshop with feature artist Brendon Darby
- One day Beginners Oil Painting Workshop with feature artist Leon Holmes
- One day Intermiate/advanced Watercolour Workshop with feature guest artist Cass Gartner
- Pinjarra Court House en plein air exhibition 2 September to 2 October
Festival Weekend activities 26 – 28 September:
- Artists Meet and Greet at the Leon Holmes Gallery
- Demonstrations by feature artists Brendon Darby and Leon Holmes
- Day and evening paint outs
- Two-hour ‘Quick Draw’ painting competition
- A day painting in historical Pinjarra
- Pop up easel exhibitions each day
Judge’s Invitational Exhibition and Awards
Following the Plein Air Down Under festival weekend, an exhibition will be held at the Contemporary Art Spaces Mandurah (CASM) gallery on 3 and 4 October. The exhibition will feature works painted on location during the three-day festival, together with paintings by professional and Feature Artists. Gillian Peebles has once again been invited to judge, with awards and prizes to be presented on Sunday 4 October. Artist talks and painting demonstrations will also feature during the exhibition.
All registered artists are eligible for the awards and cash prizes, and registrations are now open at www.pleinairdownunder.com